Butterfly chandeliers add a touch of whimsy to any room. These dazzling chandeliers can brighten up any space, be it a nursery, a child’s room, a living room, or even a wedding venue. The best part is, you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to own one. You can easily make your own butterfly chandelier with just a few supplies and a little bit of time.
To make your own butterfly chandelier, you will need the following supplies:
- Butterfly wings (you can either buy them online or make them yourself using paper or cardboard)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- String lights
- Wire cutters
- Floral wire
- Ribbon or string (optional)
- Begin by cutting out butterfly wings from cardstock or paper. You can use a butterfly template as a guide.
- Next, use a glue gun to attach the butterfly wings to the string lights. Place the glue on the back of the wings, and press them onto the lights. Ensure that the wings are evenly spaced along the string.
- Once the glue dries, cut a small piece of floral wire, and wrap it around the base of each butterfly wing to secure it to the lights.
- Continue attaching the wings until the whole string is covered.
- Use wire cutters to cut a length of floral wire about 4-5 feet long.
- Tie one end of the wire to the top of the string lights, leaving a long tail of wire hanging down.
- Thread the wire through the eye of a sewing needle, and push it through the center of a large butterfly wing.
- Add smaller butterfly wings using the same technique. Make sure to vary the size and color of the wings to create a more organic look.
- Once you have all the butterfly wings arranged in the desired pattern, twist the wire into a loop and run it through the string of lights to secure the chandelier to the ceiling.
- Use ribbon or string to tie the chandelier to the ceiling if necessary.
- You can customize your butterfly chandelier by using different colors and sizes of butterfly wings.
- Use LED string lights to prevent the chandelier from becoming hot and posing a fire hazard.
- Use white butterfly wings to create a classic look or bright and colorful wings to add a pop of color to the room.